Contributed by Tori Pallas, Wellness Coordinator
L to R: Tonya Vyhlidal, Nebraska WorkWell Director; Laurie Klosterboer, ED Nebraska Safety Council; Tori Pallas, Duncan Aviation; Governor Dave Heineman, Chief Medical Director Jospeh Acierno NE-DHHS.
In 1999, Duncan Aviation informally started its Wellness Program by opening a fitness room in its Lincoln, Nebraska, facility that was ran and maintained entirely by employees volunteering their time. Then in 2001, staff was added and more formal programming began. Today, Duncan Aviation is a certified Platinum Well Workplace and has two full-time wellness staff members, two state-of-the-art fitness facilities and several wellness programs and services available to all Duncan Aviation employees at every location. There is a culture of wellness that permeates the entire company and encourages healthy lifestyle choices that not only benefit us as team members, but our families and the communities in which we live.
The results of our efforts to promote worksite health and make wellness a priority in the lives of our team members has been recognized and honored many times at both of Duncan Aviation’s full-service facilities in Battle Creek, Michigan, and Lincoln, Nebraska. On October 16 during a luncheon at the WorkWell and Nebraska Safety Council in Lincoln, Nebraska, Duncan Aviation was again awarded the Governor’s Wellness Award at the Grower Level from Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman.
This award recognizes Nebraska employers who have developed successful models for encouraging wellness at work. Factors considered for the award included the level of support for the program by company leaders, assessment of employee needs, wellness plan design, outcomes and benefits and policies supporting healthy behaviors, as well as, providing employees with health education, health screenings and opportunities for exercise.
I had the honor to attend and accept the award on behalf of Duncan Aviation, our Senior Management Team who so generously supports all of the programs, and most importantly on behalf of my team members who are engaged in their wellness and make the workplace an enjoyable and thriving environment.
Duncan Aviation Wellness Programs and Services
The following programs and services are available to Duncan Aviation employees and their spouses:
- Duncan Aviation Family Health Centers staffed by on-site physician assistant and nurse practitioner in both Battle Creek, Michigan, and Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Free health consultations, fitness assessments, group stretching, personal training and nutritional analysis.
- 24 hour, state-of-the-art fitness facilities in both Battle Creek, Michigan, and Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Onsite instructed fitness classes.
- Health club membership reimbursements.
- Flu shots.
- Continuum Employee Assistance Program.
- Free annual health screenings.
- Medical insurance premium discounts based on results from annual health screening for participating in screenings and remaining tobacco free.
- Monthly health and wellness newsletters.
- Wellness intranet website.
Tori Pallas is the wellness coordinator at Duncan Aviation’s Lincoln, Nebraska, facility. She is instrumental in the development and facilitation of the wellness programs and services available to Duncan Aviation’s employees and their families.